The dollar store ahhhhhhhhh!!! It’s teacher heaven, unless you live in Houston because there is an actual store called teacher heaven and I must say they nailed that one on the head. It’s so amazing the things you can find at the dollar store. Even more amazing is how teachers look at things a little differently and can find ways to use the most ordinary things in extraordinary ways. Come shop with me!
As a teacher I went to the dollar store weekly. As a mom I go monthly. It’s a great inexpensive resource for sensory play. I’m going to layout what’s in the bags and telll you how I plan on using the items. No doubt you’ll see a bunch of them in upcoming posts.
We will be going left to right, top to bottom-the way we read-teacher habit.
1. Brushes-snag these-they’re $10 at Hobby Lobby! I plan on using these to chalkboard paint my crock pot-hopefully sooner rather than later. I also am dying to make some burlap wreaths. Only problem I can’t really draw.
2.Pack of Gourds-Fall sensory tub
3. Spiders-Halloween Discovery bottle, sensory tub, cupcakes toppers-I used these to play a one to one correspondence game in Kindergarten where you roll the dice and put that many spiders on your hand-super cute.
4.Hair Ties-color discovery bottles-I want to make them so badly! I need more glitter!
5.Pumpkin-sensory tub and bathtub/water table play.
6. Vanilla Pudding-sensory play-put edible food coloring in and we will be making edible finger paint.
2.Beads-cutting apart for discovery bottles-notice a trend?
3. Grow a Robot-scientific method-I mean robots are cool!
4.Dinosaurs-Dino discovery bottle, sand table
5.Glow Sticks-bathtub play in the dark, discovery bottle
6.Baster-water table, bathtub play, and painting
7. Measuring Cups-sensory tub play, water table play
1.Leaves-Fall sensory tub
2.Mike Wysowski-green discovery bottle-had too.
3. Q-Tips-used to make skeletons on paper for Halloween and an upcoming contact paper sticky project, also great to use for paintbrushes or for sharing glue.
4.Beans and Pasta-sensory tub base
Once you start looking at things differently it’s amazing what you can find. I always go with some upcoming projects in mind-on the burner and look for things that might fit. For example, I knew I wanted to make a Fall sensory tub for Row and start with the basic color discovery bottles. Have you found anything cool at the dollar store? Any upcoming projects? BTW-water beads are at the dollar store too!!!! We already have them.
The same goes for garage sales! I’m a garage sale junkie! You’d be so amazed at what you can find.